Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"For Fashion's Sake!"

I was shopping at the mall the other day when I came across a shirt I really liked! It was cheap, and it was pink(my favorite color), and even though it was very low I could always wear something under it. I took it to the dressing room, but I couldn't seem to reach the button. So, I asked this girl who was trying on a dress(very short dress, and was strapless), to button for me. We chatted for a little while and the she said that the shirt was real cute. I told her thank you, but I was sure to wear something under it. Then right after that she asked "Why?" I said "Because if I didn't, it would not exactly be modest." It was then where she exclaimed "For Fashion's sake girl, modest is out! You gotta get with it!"

Its really sad actually. Very few girls in America have the desire to wear modest clothing. Even the Christian girls wear tight jeans, strapless dresses, mini skirts, bikini, and so on. Girls don't realize what a stumbling block they can cause by "simply" showing cleavage. Though some do realize it, and do it anyway.

I knew a girl who was overweight, and was so ashamed of it that she started to wear the most immodest clothing. I thought since she was overweight she would do the exact opposite, but no. She said that with her weight she could never "catch" a guy, but with her defrauding clothing it made her feel more confident about herself. And that's how some Christian girls are like, the rest of the world is wearing this, so why can't they?

We now have a rule in our house that the movies we watch must be approved by a woman first. Because most movies are made for men, and so who knows what attire the women will be wearing! That's why our collection of movies is a very poor number. And its all so sad, because there has been some good movies, that men would never be allowed to see with a clear conscious. Okay, I'm going correct myself, the movies with immodesty are not good.

I like to think that when I'm wearing an outfit that is cute while still remaining modest, I'm being an example to those who are Christians, and yet are still wearing things that are eye-traps.

4 comments:

Misti Aldrich said...

A little shout out and congratulations on your convictions and sticking to them. "Christians" have been desensitized to sleep by wanting to be "like the world to win the world" that we have lost what it means to be women and actually follow God's laws. I applaud you and am inspired that there really are young girls who desire to live above reproach and not to "catch" men.

Anonymous said...

So I was wondering, are you a LOTR fan? You have a picture from the movie in your other post, but most of the dresses Arwen wears are very low cut and immodest. Any thoughts?

~Estel~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am so blessed by this post of yours... to see that there are young single women out there who stand up for modesty and seek to please God above all others! How encouraging and refreshing to find you!